Thursday, July 26, 2007

Whoa da Machine

see this.... This...............is............the BLACK (not blue) screen of death

not good....


This causes involuntary jazz hands.. and utterances of words (not befitting a kindly grandmother).... and as if in a bad slo-mo nightmare the five stages of grief take hold and consume the next 24 hrs of your life.


  • Denial: the initial state "This can't be happening"(how many reboots with the same screen does it take to figure out "it's happening baby)

  • Anger: Why is this happening "looking around wildly for someone to blame"

  • Bargaining: Oh Hell! just let me get my Quickbooks back! I don't care about anything else....(Oh yeah? wadda 'bout those ten thousand photos....)

  • Depression: Wandering aimlessly around the kitchen periodically opening the refrigerator door, helping yourself to 'yet' another ice cream sandwich, waiting for the techie guy to call for a "computer update".
and last...
  • Acceptance: Highly jubilant acceptance, looking thru the Dell flier that has been littering the computer desk for weeks. Hmmmm, that certainly is a fine looking lime green laptop with a 17" in screen.... Just the thing to help one thru a tragic computer disaster.

Cell phone rings while making a purchase at the local Farm Supply store. Techie guy in need of Norton's Utility password to load it back on my computer.

"You fixed it?" I inquired.....

"Well, I got your Windows OS back, but everything else is gone"

So there you have it.....I have my trusty (old) Toshiba laptop back . A pristine, blank-slate, little program-less virgin......

as visions of a shiny new greener than green, 17" screen, bad boy named Dell, fades to

well, black

5 comments:

captain corky said...

That stinks! It happend to me once before, and like a fool I still don't back up my files.

madame x said...

Thanksk Corky.... I'm still just beginning to realize how much I really lost...

all those itunes....sad

Dan said...

Holy crap!

Now I'm shaking in my boots because I loaded your blog. Maybe your PC infection was passed to my PC! No!! No!!

I'm kidding. I'm not even wearing boots. I'm actually barefoot right now.

madame x said...

Hey Dan.... As much as I'd like to blame a virus or worm or cyber foul play....

the problem was totally iatrogenic

google that ......

and stay far away from your registry....
gulp

Moyna said...

Well said.